Single-center experience with 1-step low-profile percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy in children

Nicole Pattamanuch, Inna Novak, Anthony Loizides, Andrea Montalvo, John Thompson, Yolanda Rivas, Debra Pan

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

11 Scopus citations


Objectives: The 1-step low-profile percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (1-step PEG) uses a single procedure that allows immediate use of a low-profile device. The aim of the present study was to provide our experience with this device and to analyze complications and outcomes after the initial placement. Methods: We performed a retrospective chart review of pediatric patients with 1-step PEG placement done by our pediatric gastroenterologists between 2006 and June 2011. Patients were studied for a minimum period of 6 months. Results: A total of 121 patients were included in our study, with 23% infants. The most common indication for 1-step PEG placement was swallowing dysfunction in children with neurological impairment (49%). Postplacement complications included granulation tissue (52%), cellulitis (23%), leakage (21%), vomiting (17%), tissue breakdown (8%), failed placement (6%), embedded bolster (5%), perforation (0.8%), and bowel obstruction (0.8%). One-step PEG was maintained in 46 patients (38%). In the remaining 75 patients (62%), PEGs were changed to a balloon device in 66 patients and were completely removed in 9 patients. The most common indications for change were damaged PEG (19/75) and issues with size (11/75). The time to change ranged from <1 month to >4 years (14 ± 1.3 months). Sixty-eight percent of 1-step PEG changes/removal was performed with an obturator under brief inhalated anesthesia. Conclusions: The 1-step PEG has complication rates and outcomes comparable with standard PEGs.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)616-620
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition
Issue number5
StatePublished - May 2014


  • 1-step low-profile percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy
  • children
  • complications
  • gastrostomy tube

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Gastroenterology


Dive into the research topics of 'Single-center experience with 1-step low-profile percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy in children'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this