Drug-eluting balloon in the treatment of in-stent restenosis and diffuse coronary artery disease: Real-world experience from our registry

Sandeep Basavarajaiah, Azeem Latib, Joanne Shannon, Toru Naganuma, Alessandro Sticchi, Letizia Bertoldi, Charis Costopoulos, Filippo Figini, Mauro Carlino, Alaide Chieffo, Matteo Montorfano, Antonio Colombo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

22 Scopus citations


Objectives To report a single-center experience of drug-eluting balloons (DEB) in the treatment of in-stent restenosis (ISR) and de novo coronary artery disease. Background DEB are emerging as an alternative treatment for coronary stenosis especially when metal scaffolding is undesirable (in-stent restenosis and small-vessel de novo disease). Although there are various randomized trials and registry studies, the data from real-world cohorts are lacking. Methods Consecutive patients treated with the In.Pact Falcon™ (Medtronic Inc., Minneapolis, MN, USA) paclitaxel-eluting balloon between January 2009 and December 2011 were retrospectively studied. The measured end-points were cardiac death, myocardial infarction (MI), target lesion revascularization (TLR), target vessel revascularization (TVR), and major adverse cardiac events (MACE) defined as combination of cardiac death, MI, and TVR. Results A total of 275 lesions were successfully treated in 184 patients. The mean age was 66.2±9.6 years, and 87% were males. The predominant indication for DEB use was ISR (62%), with de novo lesions accounting for the remainder (38%). A mean of 1.48±0.9 DEB were used per patient. Bailout stenting was required in 24% of lesions. The median clinical follow-up was 14.6 months (IQR 12-23). The overall rates of cardiac death, MI, TLR, TVR, and MACE were 3.8%, 1.6%, 16.8%, 17.9%, and 21.7%, respectively. The overall rate of stent thrombosis was 0.5% (n=1). Conclusion Our results suggests that DEB can be considered in lesions where the use of stents is not desirable, especially restenotic lesions. Further long-term follow-up of these patients will provide us more insights on the long-term outcomes. (J Interven Cardiol 2014;27:348-355)

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)348-355
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Interventional Cardiology
Issue number4
StatePublished - Aug 2014
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Drug-eluting balloon in the treatment of in-stent restenosis and diffuse coronary artery disease: Real-world experience from our registry'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this