6. Lymphoid Tumor of the Lid

Frederick A. Jakobiec, Richard A. Gibralter, Daniel M. Knowles, Takeo Iwamoto

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

8 Scopus citations


A 56-year-old white man presented with bilateral inferior lid tumors with a rubbery consistency suggesting lymphoid lesions. An excisional biopsy specimen of the larger lesion in the left lower lid led to routine pathologic, immunologic, histochemical, and electron microscopic investigations. The tumor displayed a diffuse pattern microscopically and was composed of atypical lymphocytes with intermediate differentiation. The immunologic and histochemical marker studies revealed that 90% of the constituent lymphocytes were B-lymphocytes bearing IgM-IgD immunoglobulins on their surface membranes; the remaining 10% of the cells being reactive T-lymphocytes. A diagnosis of a monoclonal proliferation was established and a systemic workup revealed disseminated lymphoma. The use of immunoglobulin and histochemical analyses of ocular adnexal lymphoid tumors is outlined.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1058-1064
Number of pages7
Issue number10
StatePublished - 1980
Externally publishedYes


  • B-lymphocytes
  • T-lymphocytes
  • conjuctiva
  • histochemistry
  • immunoglobulin markers
  • lid
  • lymphoid tumor
  • lymphoma
  • ocular adnexa
  • orbit
  • reactive lymphoid hyperplasia

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Ophthalmology


Dive into the research topics of '6. Lymphoid Tumor of the Lid'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this