Intrinsic tumors of the medulla: Predicting outcome after surgery

Rick Abbott, Tania Shimimki-Mether, Fred J. Epstein

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

29 Scopus citations


Twenty-four children and young adults who underwent surgery for intrinsic tumors of the medulla were studied, correlating preoperative symptoms to postoperative brain stem dysfunction. 75% harbored benign tumors with a mean survival of 3.6 years, while the remaining 25% with anaplastic tumors had a mean survival of 3.2 years. Six patients required postoperative ventilatory support for an extended period of time, and 9 required feeding gastrostomies. Those patients who experienced frequent symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection, preoperative pneumonia, or an alteration in their voice were at risk of postoperative ventilatory dependency. Those without such symptoms did not experience such a fate. Difficulty in swallowing food or liquids seems to predict the need for postoperative feeding gastrostomies, and a lack of such a history was correlated with no such need 100% of the time. There seem to be preoperative signs and symptoms which predict postoperative brain stem dysfunction for an extended period of time in those undergoing brain stem surgery for tumors intrinsic to the medulla.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)41-44
Number of pages4
JournalPediatric neurosurgery
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 1 1996
Externally publishedYes


  • Complications, tumor surgery
  • Intrinsic brain stem tumors, surgery
  • Outcome prediction, medulla tumor surgery
  • Postoperative deficits, intrinsic brain stem tumors

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Surgery
  • Clinical Neurology


Dive into the research topics of 'Intrinsic tumors of the medulla: Predicting outcome after surgery'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this